Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Day 30: Subject Views the Light at the End of the Tunnel

 Today, Elliot starts in a new school.

Billerica (I'll say once more, bless this school system) has a program called the Compass Program for kids with behavioral issues.  It's located at another elementary school in the district, so Elliot has been moved over there for an extended evaluation that will last the rest of the school year.

He and I went and toured the school yesterday.  It's amazing.  Not only is it a gorgeous new building, filled with all kinds of awesome stuff, the staff there were fantastic.  Everyone we saw stopped and spoke to Elliot, and told him how excited they were to have him with them.  His new classroom teacher is great, and he was so taken with the Compass Program teacher that half way through the tour he started holding her hand.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I really, really think this is going to be good for him.

 The music room has tons of xylophones, glockenspiels, and drums.
Elliot was stoked.

 Today I dropped him off, and I'm wretchedly nervous.  I hope so much that this is going to go well for him, and at the same time I know that it's silly to expect miracles.  It's left me in this weird state where I'm super happy, but I might burst into tears at any moment.  I'm like those kids who sob on Christmas morning, because it's just all too much.

Back in the car, having delivered the dude to his new room.

Anyway, send Elliot good wishes.  And if you have any positive energy left, pack up a little serenity and send it my way, so that I can be prepared for whatever kind of day he's had, regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment