Monday, March 7, 2016

Day 17: Subject Brushes Her Daughter's Hair

When I was a girl I had long hair.  I mean, really long hair.  From the earliest memories I have until I was a Freshman in college and decided to cut it for the very first time, I had hair that stretched well past my butt.  It wasn't curly, or red, or anything like that, but by GOD it was long, and I loved it.

As you might imagine, with such long hair on such a young girl, there were times the maintenance grew tedious.  My mother threatened to cut it off more than once, if I didn't keep knots out of it, and I remember many a torturous hour sitting at her feet, having her yank the snarls out.  Now that I'm older with a daughter of my own I have a little more sympathy, but at the time I felt certain she was being hideously cruel to me.

Which, of course, led me to a solemn vow.  That, if I should have a daughter, and she should have tangles in her hair, I would do everything within my power to get them out in a painless and easy way, no matter the cost to my time or patience.

Today's lesson, I suppose, is that one should never make solemn vows about what kind of a parent one will be until one actually HAS children.

Anyway, for the most part I do a decent job.  And we have a bit of a ritual surrounding Chaz's brushing.
The detangling spray.  Step one in getting through this madness with as few tears as possible.  Chaz actually loves the detangling spray.  Check out that grin.

Application of the brush.  On normal days, after detangler, this goes fairly well.
Sometimes, on Mondays, it does not.

A post brushing picture.  Chaz is ready for school, 
and I am one step closer to drinking my giant vat of 
morning coffee.

Yeah.  That's just how we roll.

3 comments: