Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Day 34: Am I BLONDE?


Yesterday I washed my hair.  I braided it while it was still wet, and when I took it down at bedtime I was pleased with all the pretty waves, so I took a picture, thinking I would share it with you fine people.  At the time I supposed that I would be writing a post about taking pleasure in the little things--like when your hair is clean and shiny and aesthetically appealing.  But then I TOOK the picture, and examined it, and suddenly I was asking something entirely different.


AM I BLONDE?

I mean, I know I'm not naturally blonde.  Those roots are brown, baby.  But I was left wondering if the cycle of bleaching and dying and washing had led me to a place where I was--currently, in that moment, for all intents and purposes--a blonde.

I was both perplexed, and not entire sure how to feel.

So, I did what any sensible person might do.  I tried a different light source.



The dim light of my bedroom seems to confirm that I am, in fact, a brunette.  But the entire thing has left me wondering about perception.  I mean, I dye my hair vibrant shades of purple and pink.  It isn't as though I'm terribly hung up on my natural shade.  So why, then, would I care if I suddenly seemed blonde?  

I honestly don't know.  Maybe it's because it's startling to take something for granted about yourself, only to have it abruptly be not-true.

I guess that means I'll have this experience more and more frequently as I age, and my body becomes something different.

Oh, goodie.



No comments:

Post a Comment