Thursday, March 23, 2017

Day 84: Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Isn't a duck.

I'm not a very brave person.


We all know that quote about how bravery isn't a lack of fear, but rather the willingness to act in spite of the fear, right?  In order to truly be brave you've got to be scared of something.  Now, I am scared of plenty of things, but I am terrible at facing my fears.  Fear paralyzes me.  It's one of the reasons I consistently bomb auditions.  I've got the nerves of a chinchilla.


From a very young age, however, I figured out that I could keep going if I just pretended I wasn't afraid.  I'm pretty good at pretending, so I've developed a method which looks, from a  distance, a little bit like bravery.

But don't be fooled.

Really, I am just pretending that I'm not scared.

That's not the same thing at all.


It's useful at times.  I'm great in a crisis, because I shut down anything that gets in the way of dealing with what's going on.  When I was eighteen and my best friend flipped his car off the road with me and a bunch of others in it, I held it together until I'd scaled the bank and flagged down help.  It wasn't until I found the rest of our friends that I broke down and cried.  When a volunteer and I got mugged on the way to Roberto Clemente I was totally calm and cool, and I kept her calm so she didn't get stabbed.  Then when I got home I lost it.  I would be a great party member in the event of a zombie apocalypse, but if I happened to survive someone would need to shut me in a closet for a week once the danger was passed so I could cry it all out.


Anyway, the point is, I'm not brave.  I can just Fortify like max-level Priest in tricked-out gear.  It's a special talent, and I'm not denying it's handy.  But I've just realized that I might be using it to crush my soul.

I mean, just a little.

But maybe a little soul crushing is still a bad thing?










2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let it crush your soul! it doesn't have to- accept it as a skill. It's a coping mechanism- an effective one for you it seems. Just because you're in tricked out gear doesn't mean you aren't a bad ass! You are!

    ReplyDelete