Saturday, October 21, 2017

Day 103: Dear Nice Guys,

Dear Nice Guys,

Fuck you.

No, seriously.  Fuck.  You.  I am so tired of you and your bullshit.  Of your aggressive insistence that I make exceptions for you because you, YOU ARE DIFFERENT.  You're not like those OTHER men!

News flash, sweetheart.  You are exactly like those other men.

"But!' you say, all indignant and aggrieved, "I don't get angry and abusive when you reject me!"

No, of course not.  Instead you pout, and cast hurt glances my way, as though that were somehow BETTER.  As though that did not still imply that I owe you something.  That you have a right to my attention and affection.

Let me offer the most recent in a lifetime of examples.  Today, on a social website, I received a message from a man who was pleased of offer me his approval.


See, he started so well.  SO WELL.  A compliment.  A mild flirtation.  Maybe a bit of hypocrisy claiming to be a grammar nerd, given his complete wreckage of the English language in the next to last sentence, but, honestly, I forgive typos all the time.  And, being a well-bred woman, when I am complimented, I say thank you.  And so I did.

Which, of course, is when he got butt hurt.


Really, dude?  Quotations around writer?  Like, your message was a test, and I've failed, so now I don't get my certificate of authenticity from the Masculine Authority Agency?



I thought I'd take it easy at first.  I mean, sometimes people don't get how their words come across.  Not everyone is thoughtful in their presentation.  Not everyone is cognizant of their impact.  Not everyone is...


NOT EVERYONE IS GONNA GET THE VERBAL BEAT DOWN THIS GUY IS CLEARLY BEGGING FOR.

You did not want to start this shit with me.  I swear you did not.  But you were a fool, and now you will reap what you sow.



OF COURSE, I MIGHT HAVE BEEN EXAGGERATING THAT WHOLE "SANE" THING.

I am so exhausted by my own irritation.  I am also exhausted by the idea that I should just ignore it, and move on.

NO.

HOW ABOUT MEN STOP ACTING LIKE THIS, INSTEAD?!?!?!

Look, there are a select number of people in the world to whom I owe my attention.  All of them are people with whom I have deep, interconnected bonds, and an understanding of support and reciprocity between us.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE FUCKING STRANGER ON THE INTERNET WHO FALLS INTO THIS CATEGORY.

Nice guys tear my ass with frustration, because they think they get a cookie for being a decent human being.  And, as soon as the cookie doesn't come, they suddenly stop being a decent human.

IF YOU WERE ONLY DOING IT FOR THE COOKIES, YOU WEREN'T DECENT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

OH MY GOD.

Look, I think I may have lost some coherence here, but I've got a lot of rage over this issue.  Lemme sum up my points, in an attempt to wrap this up in a marginally comprehensive way.

1) Don't say you're a nice guy, or different, or whatever.  Just be different.  Trust me.  We'll notice.

2) If you can't acknowledge that you're having a negative impact, and adjust for that, we'll notice that, too.

Oh, and that dude?  That guy who was so different?



Yeah.  Let's leave it at that.  I think I prefer being unappreciated by men like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment